SENIOR LEADERSHIP TEAM LINK: MRS J POWDRILL
HOUSE MOTTO: AD VICTORIAM (TO VICTORY)
2020/2021 HOUSE CHARITY: HEART LINK
In Shipley house we aspire to be the ‘House of choice’ by being caring and supportive house where we identify, encourage and develop the talents and qualities of each pupil from year 7 to year 13. We will be committed to enabling pupils to thrive and pursue excellence in all areas, and in doing so, helping them to prepare for adult life as confident, independent and respectful members of a caring society.
Shipley Hall was built in 1700, and by 1722 coal mining was an important activity on the Shipley Estate. The Hall became the property of the Miller-Mundy family who in around 1765 started running the mines themselves. The Nutbrook Canal opened in 1796 to serve the Shipley Colliery, and the income led to extensive development of the estate. The Hall was rebuilt in 1799 (the building in the above photo) to the design of William Linley of Doncaster, and the grounds were landscaped by William Emes. In 1922 Shipley Colliery Company bought the site in which the main parts of the hall were demolished in 1943. In the 1970’s Derbyshire County Council bought the estate and established a Country Park on the site. You can visit the parameters of the hall today and look at the architecture of the building on information plaques around the site.